Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions About the

International Certified Vocational Evaluator (ICVE)

1. Why should I seek certification?

In several states, a professional credential is required to qualify for employment.  In some states and locales, having a recognized credential facilitates or may be required to enter private practice.  In addition, certification promotes and elevates the profession as well as the professionals who practice.  Possessing a credential has been shown to support promotions and salary increases with employers.  It is requisite for a profession to meet the criteria for public acceptance as being a legitimate profession. Most importantly, having professional certification presumes that we are protecting those we serve from harm.  In the case of the ICVE, it is an international credential which will gain acceptance in more than one country which could provide additional employment or consulting opportunities (Note that the United Kingdom and Australia have inquired about the ICVE).

2. Is the ICVE VECAP’s certification?

No. VECAP takes a strong position that there should be separation between professional associations and certification bodies. The International Certified Vocational Evaluator (ICVE) is a credential offered through the Canadian College of Vocational Rehabilitation Professionals (CVRP). The CVRP is not a college as we think of it in the United States, but is a credentialing body for professionals. The ICVE is an expansion of the Canadian Certified Vocational Evaluator (CCVE) certification which they have been offering for a number of years.  VECAP endorses the ICVE certification and works with CVRP to ensure the credential and examination content is relevant to US Vocational Evaluators.   It is not, however, VECAP’s certification nor is VECAP membership required to apply. The ICVE is completely independent from VECAP.

3. How does the International Certified Vocational Evaluator (ICVE) differ from the American Board of Vocational Experts’ (ABVE) International Psychometric Evaluation Certification (IPEC)?  

IPEC by its name, definition and linkage with ABVE is involved with psychometric evaluation in a forensic setting.  IPEC practitioners provide Level I (Screening) and Level II

(Clinical/Exploratory) assessment according to the definitions laid out by the Interdisciplinary

Council on Vocational Evaluation and Assessment’s Revised Position Paper on Vocational

Evaluation and Assessment.  This is a document that both ABVE and VECAP endorse.  The ICVE addresses all three levels of Assessment – Screening, Clinical/Exploratory and Vocational Evaluation, the latter of which is grounded in the use of work, real or simulated.

VECAP endorses the ICVE along with the continued maintenance of the CVE through the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification (CRCC).  VECAP has not been involved in the creation or support of IPEC, but encourages professionals to determine which professional certifications best meet their needs.

4. Is there an expedited ICVE application process for individuals holding IPEC?

Not at this time, however, a case could be made for an expedited process should there be a significant number of IPEC holders who are interested. VECAP would be willing to work with representatives of IPEC to facilitate their communication with the ICVE credentialing body, the CVRP.

Currently there is grandfathering of Certified Vocational Evaluators (CVE) and an expedited application process for Professional Vocational Evaluators (PVE) and Certified Rehabilitation Counselors (CVE).

5. How has the ICVE Examination been vetted?  Has there been Beta Testing of the examination?

The ICVE examination is an extension of the Canadian Certified Vocational Evaluator (CCVE) examination which has been tested and revised over many years.  New content to address US practice and international practice has been added and will be tested over time as well.   US CVEs will be voluntarily taking this examination to aid in the vetting of new content.  We ask that current CVEs contact the VECAP Home Office if they are interested in participating in this vetting.

6. How can I prepare for the ICVE exam?

The essential preparation is primarily a strong educational and experiential background in vocational rehabilitation, basic and advanced test and assessment principles, and especially vocational evaluation philosophy, principles, and practices/techniques. For more particular preparation, CAVEWAS (Canadian Vocational Evaluation and Work Adjustment Society) created an exam study guide for the CCVE (Canadian Certified Vocational Evaluator) examination.  VECAP is working with CAVEWAS to revise this guide to include US content;  US applicants will not need to know Canadian content .  CAVEWAS also has educational modules that are available to help individuals prepare, including four completed by US professionals in 2019 (see

7. How do I secure a criminal background check?

There are many ways you can secure a criminal background check.  CVRP requires that it be current so you will need to secure this information around the time of application. It is possible to secure a background check through your employer or individually through any of the following means identified by the FBI.

8. How do I secure professional liability insurance?

There are many providers of professional liability insurance.  VECAP does not endorse any one particular provider but many members carry professional liability insurance through HPSO (Health Care Providers Service Organization).  HPSO does not have a specific service category for Vocational Evaluators, many are insured under related professions (e.g., Rehabilitation Counselors, Career Counselor, etc.).

9. What are my options for securing supervised experience?

3000 hours of administratively supervised experience is required.  This does not need to be supervised by a credentialed professional. This work experience can include related experience such as vocational rehabilitation experience in a job other than Vocational Evaluator. It does not have to be continuous work experience but does need to amount to the 3000 hours. The completion of a minimum of 40 vocational evaluation reports is required as part of that experience.   A résumé or curriculum vitae along with employer verification form(s) will provide the necessary documentation.  For individuals who are self-employed, the résumé or curriculum vitae along with a job description and three letters of reference is required.    

10. Do I have to have a college class in psychometrics to apply for the ICVE?

A college class is one way to meet the requirement for coursework in psychometrics (tests and measurement). Taking the VRA/CAVEWAS educational module in this content area will also suffice.

11. Is there a limit on the number of times I can take the examination if I do not pass the examination the first time?

Applicants are afforded the opportunity to take the examination a total of three times. If the applicant does not pass examination initially, they would pay the examination fee again to take the examination a second time. They would not have to re-apply or pay the application fee again. The situation would be the same if a third examination attempt was needed.

12. How do I pay for the ICVE application costs?

The fees noted on the CVRP/College website and materials are noted in Canadian currency.  If you pay with a credit card, your card company will make the appropriate exchange based on the daily rate and charge a small separate processing fee (currently under $2 USD). The US rate is less than the Canadian amount listed, due to the current conversion rates.

The Grandfather application for CVEs will cost $325 CAD (approximately $247 USD).

The Expedited application for PVEs and CRCs will cost $400 CAD (approximately $304 USD).  

The New Applicant application process will cost $450 CAD (approximately $342 USD).

13. How do I apply for the ICVE?

You can complete the application at

14. Who can answer other questions about the ICVE?

You can contact the CVRP directly by emailing or by contacting the following  CVRP Administrators:

Ms. Shorey Bowen at

Ms. Anne Marie Lapierre at 

or by calling them at 1-613-507-8847